If x = I Hate this Freaking Class, the Standard Deviation of x = Suck It, Nerds
I am taking a prerequisite statistics class this semester. It started last week and about 80% of the people in my class are of Indian descent. Most of them have only been in the U.S. for a couple of weeks, if even that long. One of the guys was pretty chatty and filled me in on his story and situation. He is Indian and had been living in Dubai working in sales. He was raised as a Hindu but eventually converted to Islam. He told me that, in his culture, most marriages were arranged (I knew this because: a. I'm smart and b. I watched the movie The Namesake. It's pretty good.) He decided that he did not want to participate in an arranged marriage, so he went searching for his bride on the internet instead.
He found an Iranian Muslim woman he wanted to marry on some website (I did not ask which site). He went to see her because he needed her father to sign a piece of paper in order to make their union legal. Without this piece of paper, he would be unable to take her to the U.S. with him. He faced disapproval from his family and hers, but managed to get the signature he needed. He is now in the process of arranging her move to the states. It was a very interesting story and even though I was completely creeped out by it and deeply offended on behalf of women everywhere, I hope everything works out for him and his mail order bride.
All that being said.....my statistics class is gut-wrenchingly horrible. I'm sure the class is not horrible for those who understand math, but I don't understand math so I hate it with the intensity of a million white hot suns. The teacher is nice and is a statistics/math genius, but I just don't 'get' the subject matter. The most frustrating part of this entire thing is that I have already taken and made an 'A' in the the class that I needed this particular prereq for. I have to take the class in order to graduate and therefore dropping it is not an option, but I will be sure to bitch, whine, moan, groan and complain my way through this semester. Poor Neal.
This Story is Nuts
Poisonous Testicles Send Diners to Hospital
Maybe it's just me, but if you go to a restaurant and order poisonous blowfish testicles as an entree, you're asking for it.
Britney
You know, Britney Spears has been around a long time and it is only in the past year that I decided I liked her music. You see, I'm normally pretty picky about what/who I listen to. I generally like people (mostly male) who write their own music, play an instrument, and can actually sing well. Britney can do none of these things, but I have come to accept that and appreciate her for what she is (pretty, crazy, and a really good performer.)
Britney's songs are perfect for exercising. Her music takes up the majority of my 'workout' playlist. She's going on tour soon and, I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing her live. I looked at tickets on stubhub and okay seats were going for over $300. I told Neal this and he said that if I wanted to watch a single mother from a small town in Louisiana dance on stage, wear skimpy outfits and lip sync, I could probably go to any strip club and get the same experience for a much cheaper price.
Peace out ya'll. ;)
Way to make new friends! What an interesting situation. As for the class, it sucks but you can do it! Just a few months and you're done!!
ReplyDelete