Monday, March 23, 2009

Last Week's Trip

I had a pretty productive trip home last week. I went to NO on Tuesday and got to spend some time with my Mom and my sweet sister Olivia. I headed to Covington on Wednesday and met Neal at my Dad's house. That night we hung out at the house and had cocktails and dinner on the porch. Neal and I got up Thursday morning and went to look at a house to rent in Covington, which we loved. The house is minutes off of 190 (busy street that the Causeway Bridge turns into) on a private road. The people who own the house live on the property right behind it in an incredible home that backs up to the Abita river. He is a vet and she is a housewife/artist. They seemed pretty cool and they thought we were the cutest people ever (I mean, duh).

The house we hope to rent is about 100 years old. It is a "renovated cottage" and sits on a 1/2 acre of land. 2 bedrooms, 2 bath. It's already furnished with some not-so-cute furnishings, but they're going to clear out everything we don't want to use. In the past they have rented it out to people who use it has a weekend home, but they decided that they wanted to rent it out to someone who wanted to live in it full-time. That would be us.

Here are some pics...



Assuming we get the house, it will definitely be a change for me. I have never lived in a place this rural (and it's really not THAT rural). I just love the house so much that I am willing to try this out. During our first visit there, we saw a jack rabbit and a frog. It is only going to get worse as far as "critters" go. There will probably be a snake or something out there, and I am preparing myself to deal with that. My Dad will be less than 10 minutes away and he likes snakes, so when Neal is gone, I can just call him to rectify the situation. Also less than 10 minutes away is Neal's best friend. I am preparing myself to deal with that situation as well.

Thursday night we met Pruitt and Zellers at the Abita Brew Pub for drinks and dinner. I got to enjoy some Abita Strawberry and it was wonderful.

We also went to this hole-in-the-wall place for lunch called Bear's. I had an awesome roast beef po-boy and there were people all around us discussing LSU basketball. The next morning I went to PJ's to get coffee.....I was HOME! It was just such a good feeling to be back.

I've applied to jobs in Covington, Hammond, Slidell and New Orleans. Still haven't heard anything, but maybe once I have a local address to put on my resume, that will make a difference.

I'll let ya'll know when the details of our move are finalized. Hope everyone has a great week!

3 comments: