Thursday, May 13, 2010

Two Weeks Worth

Hey Dudes.

Let's start with weekend before last....the A/C went out in the house. I woke up to 78 degrees inside Saturday morning. I called the landlord, but of course you cannot get anyone out to your house to fix the A/C during the weekend. I just turned all the fans on high and powered through it. I pretended like I was in a movie, b/c you know when a movie is supposed to take place in south Louisiana they always show houses with windows open and ceiling fans on and nooooo air conditioning. They came out Monday morning and fixed it, so crisis over.

Work was non-stop last week. The worst it's ever been. I enjoy being busy and all, but it was a little out of hand. I literally got fussed at for working too hard and was told that I need to chill before I burn out. That was a first. I was also told to delegate more than I have been...I totally knew that was going to be a problem.

I enjoyed a great week/weekend with Neal and family. 'Cause that's what it's all about people....spending time with those you love. We went with Maddie and Harmon to see Ryan Bingham play in Baton Rouge at Chelsea's Friday night. While RB put on a great show, I will never ever ever go back to Chelsea's for a concert. It was so small, so crowded, and so hot. And when you're only 5 feet tall, all you see is this.....



The stage was practically level with the floor. As the crowd thinned out a bit, people seemed to feel sorry for me and kept being like, "Oooh, here's a spot! Here's a spot! Move up so you can see!" So I did move up. I was almost to the stage so that I could finally get a glimpse of RB (who is also short), but the 3 assholes in that picture above were first row and would not move. They were all well over 6 feet tall. I did get a pic or two of Ryan Bingham though...




Honestly, if you don't listen to this boy's music, you should check it out. Go on iTunes and listen to "Southside of Heaven." It's good stuff.

We ate hungover lunch at Brewbacher's in BR Saturday and it was delish. Before last weekend, I swear it had been 7 years since I had been there. Chicken club still tastes the same.

We did Mother's Day/Mom's 50th celebration Saturday night at my Mom's. It's not often that the 4 of us kids are together, so it's always fun when we get to spend a little time together. TJ was so funny. He walked up to Neal with his arms raised (it's his cue to "pick me up"). It was pretty damn cute.



And about the kiddies and such...no, not preggo yet. It seems that my "lady schedule" completely conflicts with Neal's work schedule. Not quite sure what we're going to do about that, but I'm sure we'll figure something out. I see a drive to Shreveport for a Saturday night during his work week in my near future. Can I take off of work for an out-of-town booty call with my rig-workin' husband? I'm not sure, that may be frowned upon.

Speaking of rig-workin' men....if I see a picture of another oil-soaked bird on the news while I have yet to see a picture on the news of a single one of the 11 rig workers who freaking died in the explosion, I will scream. Hating the media right now.

I found out last week that my old boss died. Kirt Bennett, the guy who gave me my first job out of college on his campaign, had a stroke week before last and passed away about a week later. He was 42 years old, married, with 3 young children. As far as I knew, he was a healthy guy. He was one of those people who was just truly exceptional and made a difference in so many peoples lives. I went to the visitation Saturday morning, and got there just in time to see some women take his wife out of the church for a little while. You guys, it was not good. This woman was not okay. I know that she will be fine b/c she is so strong and smart and has great family and friends who will be there for her and her kids, but it was terrible. His death was so unexpected...a stroke at 42....it's just not fair. Kirt was involved in politics for a little while, but his biggest contribution to Baton Rouge was the Young Leaders Academy. It was a school that he founded for young African American men who did not have father figures in their lives. Apparently, some graduates of the YLA stopped by the hospital to say goodbye to Kirt when it was understood that he was not going to regain any brain function. One of his sons was asking who was going to correct him when he was wrong/did something wrong now that his dad was not going to be around, and one of the graduates of the academy said something along the lines of, "Your father was there for me when I didn't have one. Me and the 45 other YLA graduates who were taken care of by your father will be there to take care of you."

1 comment:

  1. Busy Busy! So sorry to hear about Kirt - that is so awful.
    Good Luck with the work stuff - if you need to vent on the phone over wine, just call! I have more time on my hands now.

    ReplyDelete