Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Oh Lawd

Saturday before last I was laying in bed watching Valentine's Day (terrible) at about 10pm-ish when I hear a noise on the front deck and then that "power down" noise you hear when your power goes out. All the lights in half of the house shut down while others stayed on (but are very dim). Talk about freaky. Neal was gone, my landlords were out of town, and my Dad and step-mom were in South Carolina. I couldn't see ANYTHING outside because it was so dark and I was terrified b/c the power was not out everywhere, it was just half-out at my house. I flipped all the breakers, nothing happened, so I panicked and called my brother. He told me to get in the car and come stay at his place, but I didn't want to walk outside by myself. He told me to call the cops and ask them to come and check stuff out. I didn't know what else to do, so I called 'em.

About 10 minutes later a cop car pulls up and out gets a female cop who is both younger and shorter than me. She wasn't scared to walk around outside in the dark though, so she did and said she didn't see anything or anyone. She said it looked like a power company issue, so after she left I called Cleco. They showed up about 20 minutes later and spent about an hour fixing it. It had stormed earlier that day and according to one of the Cleco guys, "Them lines were all messed up in them woods up thar." After they left I finished up watching the crap-fest that was Valentine's Day and eventually went to sleep. (Honestly, that move is an awful, wanna' be Love Actually.)

And no, I'm not pregnant yet. For a few days I thought I could be though because I was about 6 days late. And I'm never late. I even made a doctor's appointment so that I could get checked out, but I decided to keep the appointment even though I wasn't preggo and get my yearly check-up etc. I'm glad I went because I totally love my new doctor. She is young and cool and sat down and talked to me, and I am so happy that I don't have to doctor shop for someone now.

I am taking the day off of work next Thursday to go to Thibodaux with Neal to meet with his adviser at Nicholls. We both generally prefer that I handle the administrative logistics of our lives (bills, paperwork, schedules, etc) so I don't mind going. This means I get to plan, make schedules, and possibly label binders and folders. It all makes me a little giddy.

I want to now take this time to give a shout-out to Sarah who was on her best behavior as bride-to-be/center of gift opening attention at her shower. And she did it all while looking fabulous and wearing pants. Also, she and John make quite an expert registering team...they have registered for some fantastic home goods. Coolest knife block ever.

I'm supposed to be going to Seattle for a work conference week after next, but I so don't want to go. I feel like I should be excited about going somewhere new, but the trip is with my boss and I just don't want to spend 5 days there with the boss while having to schmooze, etc. I think I would be more into it if he weren't going. I mean, I really do like working for him, but I don't want to spend 5 days out of town with him. Plus he's kind of clingy and likes to talk a lot...I'm trying to maneuver my way out of this one...we'll see. And I wouldn't get back until late Saturday night, which would make me very late for Kristenpalooza. And we can't have that now, can we?

A couple of weeks ago I decided I needed to get my haircut and I didn't know where to go so I just made an appointment at this salon that is right next to my gym. I walked into a room full of very loud women talking and laughing with the "yattiest" accents I'd ever heard. I think I was the only woman in that room who was not from Chalmette. Oh lawd, it was love/hate on my part. I find it annoying and yet so entertaining at the same time. I don't think I can go back there again though..it was just. too. much.

And I have one observation from today: when there is a mini-cooper with two kayaks on top of it in a parking lot outside of a coffee shop, it is not difficult to walk into the shop and pick out exactly who they belong to.

1 comment:

  1. I would called the cops too, scared scared child that I am. I'm glad you found a gyny that is your friend, I feel as though she will have you knocked up in no time, I mean I'm cheering it on from Htown. It was so fabulous to see you, I can't wait until the next time!!!!

    ReplyDelete