So I tried to get all creative and paint office furniture this weekend. It came out okay, but wow what a pain in the ass. Our "office" is really kind of a room filled with random shit that sits in there because we don't know where else to put it. That room will one day be for a small child of some sort, but until then it is an office that holds the following:
1. a mini beer fridge
2. golf clubs
3. an old secretariat-type wooden desk that we got from the Habitat Re-Store
4. a black file cabinet
5. a black office chair
6. two sets of those white cube shelf things that you can get from Lowe's (you know, the kind that you get the little colored basket thingies to put in)
7. ironing board
8. iron
9. vacuum cleaner
and the list goes on.....
It was just a totally ugly room. So fug. I decided to try and make it better by googling how to paint a metal file cabinet and then how to paint and re-cover a plastic office chair on wheels. Both blogs that I found said to use spray paint, so that's what I got. And let me tell you, I fucking hate spray paint. I had to spray paint the furniture outside and it was so windy. And while taking the chair apart was easy, putting it back together was NOT. I finally got it, but it still feels a little funny when I sit in it. The room does look a little bit better now (not I'm going to post pictures better, but still....it does look better). I also cleaned out the closets (again) and brought bags of stuff to Goodwill. I love throwing stuff away. It's so refreshing.
I just don't understand how we've only been in this house since October and I already had to clean the closets out? Why do we have so much shit? I had a box that contained my bridal bouquet. I haven't done anything with it and I didn't plan on doing anything with it, so why keep it? It's been almost three years since the wedding, yet I just now opened the box for the first time. I took the ribbon off of it, saved it and then tossed the bouquet in the garbage.
I mean, they're just THINGS, right? I know that some people (aka my mother and my mother-in-law) keep stuff forever and ever and ever because of sentimental value, but I don't want to be like that. Because it just ends up taking up space in your house. So I'm doing my best to consistently de-clutter and throw shit away. I wish they had a Crate & Barrel here....that place has THE BEST home organization stuff ever.
You crack me up, I can just picture you sitting there doing all of this. We're actually right in the middle of our "office" remodel as well...it's a pain! Let me know what you end up finding/figuring out what works best. I was considering going and getting spray paint today for a chair but now I'm rethinking that!
ReplyDeleteMaybe we can share ideas/pictures via email once we both get going :)
Hope everything else is going well, miss you!
-Laura