So I had to work half days this past weekend. There was a massive fish kill in the Pearl River last week, and guess whose office was selected to answer the emergency response line? The phones were insane Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of last week. They finally slowed down a little over the weekend. I think the river is all cleaned up now, so hopefully things can go back to normal.
You would not believe some of the calls that we got. I won't go into detail, but I will say this: 1. People are crazy and 2. I think there's a whole lot of people around here that sit around and wait for a chemical spill to happen so that they can get some work for a few days. We did get a bunch of calls from people who were going into detail about their health problems when they live nowhere near the Pearl River. "So you're calling from where? No ma'am, I'm sorry, I don't think that your diarrhea is a result of this chemical spill that took place more than 30 miles away from your home." I'm guessing that they were hoping to cash in on this situation. I think that those calls will continue on for a bit, especially whenever the plant that caused the problems starts paying out. Lawdy lawdy.
But my favorite call from the weekend had nothing to do with the fish kill. It came from a lovely woman who had some questions about the plethora of storm systems out in the Atlantic. It went something like this, "Why ya'll gonna' wait 'till last minute to tell people what's going on? I'm going to fuck ya'll up because ya'll be fuckin' killin' people and shit." So, you know, that was pleasant. But that was pretty restrained actually, because she called one of the other girls in my office a "white bitch" during her first phone call to voice her concerns. Public service is awesome.
Anyway - umm, what else has been going on? I got crafty this weekend. I worked on decorating the master bath a little bit. I got a new mirror for the bathroom and made some framed pics to hang on the wall. I need to go to Hobby Lobby one more time tonight, and once I finish I'll try and take some pics and post them.
I did go and visit Olivia weekend before last, and she was soooo happy to see me. She seemed to be doing pretty well and she and I have been sending letters back and forth. But she had a little setback this past week. She ended up calling her counselor a bitch so she got pushed back to "level 1" and she was at a "level 3." My sweet baby sister needs to learn how to control her anger. It was weird seeing her in there. I want so much better for her than this, so I just hope beyond hope that this program helps her enough to where she doesn't relapse and she can turn her life around. She's got such a good heart and a vibrant personality. Her potential is endless, she just needs to be able to overcome these problems.
And I think it was week before last when I was at work and looked at my hand and realized that my entire diamond along with the prongs had fallen out of my engagement ring. I found it and brought it all into the jewelry store where they fixed it and and were able to set the diamond muuuch lower (which is actually what I had originally wanted them to do when we bought it.) It looks the same from the top, but the profile of it looks soooo much better. I love it!
So I hope that this week is a little less eventful than last week. Neal gets home Wednesday, yay! Hopefully we won't have to travel anywhere for any family crises this time while he's home. Happy Monday everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment